I finished those beds that I was working on last week (bed numbers 5, 6, and 7). They were all double dug and laid out in sections with a one foot path between each section. The path will make it a lot easier to work the five feet wide beds when they are full of growing plants. Today I added a wheel barrow-full of compost to six 25sq. feet sections and turned it into the top 6-8 inches of soil. Next week these beds will be spread with fertilizer then broadcast with crimson clover. The clover is a green manure that will be turned into the soil next spring, about a month before the corn is then planted. The clover will add nitrogen to the soil for the corn.
In another two of the 25sq. feet sections I added a leftover-from-last-year mix of peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite, and two wheel barrows-full of compost. I turned all of this into the soil as deeply as I could with the garden fork then covered it with a heavy layer of hay. These are the two beds where onions will be planted next February. Next week, in the remainder of these three beds (remember, these beds are 5’x30′) I will broadcast crimson clover as a green manure to feed next summers cucurbits.
This week’s goal is to clean beds 2 (about fifteen feet), 3 and 4 (5’x23′) plus the pecan tree beds. Today I finished about fifteen feet of bed #3. Cleaning the beds is tedious work and requires one to be bent over constantly. I take it slow, getting up and down often. I also hope to get the shed-barn caulked along the trim that we added on Saturday.
The shed-barn is an old garden shed that will be recycled into our barn. It was given to us when my brother had to move it to get his new trailer parked. So far the old shed has gotten a new metal roof, a new plywood floor with linoleum covering, a bunch of caulk, new shelving, and new exterior trim. Soon it will be caulked some more, painted on the outside, and get an eight foot extension added to each side for parking mowers under and storing crates and buckets. I can barely wait for the shed-barn to be finished.